27 February 2006

 

FOSDEM is over

A weekend is over before you know. Especially at FOSDEM.
Friday early afternoon, Thomas (the friend with whom I went on holiday to Austria) and me departed from Delft to arrive in Brussels at about half past two. A little search for the hotel, where I deposited part of my luggage (the non-electronics half), and we left to see the town centre and visit some churches. After all, we're still interested in church and royal history, respectively. A few hours later, a group of other friends arrived and together we went back to the hotel. Not too long after, we went for dinner and ended up at the pizzeria we visited last year as well. Good food, good fillings for our next event, the Halloween cafe. A couple of Belgian beers (and some fantas) later, we went back to the hotel.
The next day was the first real FOSDEM day. I got part of the keynote talk and following discussion (Richard Stallman about the GPLv3), and then went on to lunch. After that, I visited the KDE developers room for Jonathan Riddell's talk on Kubuntu. I talked to some KDE colleagues and, together with Sebastian K├╝gler, decided upon the schedule for my own quick talks. Although Sebastian's talk seemed interesting, I visited the XGL talk instead. More people had that idea, the room was way too small for all attendees to fit in... An excellent Indian dinner and a second visit to Halloween concluded the day.
Sunday then. A little headache, but breakfast helped enough to feel fit again. I started with Raphael Langerhorst's talk about KOffice in enterprise environments before lunchtime. More chatting in the KDE room easily filled the time for my first quick talk on screenshot automation. Apparently I did quite well, since all feedback was really positive. After a short break, it was then time for Bart Coppens to do his talk on Krita. Its possibilities and potential were clearly highlighted, but unfortunately its instability also showed. Nevertheless, the presentation was well given. I continued with my second quick talk on the KOffice user interface, the slides of which are available on the KOffice developers page. The day ended with the last part of the OpenCA talk and the excellent presentation by Jeff Waugh on desktop challenges. We went back to the train station, and I arrived back home at half past eleven. Time for bed...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?