29 October 2005

 

And another disk gone...

Either it's the brand or me, or some stupid coincidence, but after the dead harddisk in my server two months ago, the /home partition on my desktop now has the exact same problem. A DriveSeekError, lost sectors, and loads of unconnected inodes. And of course the shop won't be open until Monday afternoon. I'm hoping that I'll still be able to copy all my personal files off it (going to try that tomorrow when I'm more awake), and that I can then bring the drive back and get a new one. Wish me luck...

Comments:
One thing I have read about people having that kind of trouble is that they pack up the disk so it does not get moist and then put it in the freezer. So. If all fails, that might be the last thing to try...
 
Recreating the filesystem has worked for now. ext3 seems to sometimes give this kind of errors even though the actual disk is fine.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?